Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Best Teacher on the Planet


One of the radio stations in St. George (Planet 94.1) does a contest during the year for teachers. It is called "Best Teacher on the Planet." The way it works is that each week they pick a teacher who has been nominated and surprise them in their classroom with all sorts of awesome prizes. Well Chris was joking with me one day and said he was going to nominate me. Of course I told him no, because I felt like there are a lot more teachers who deserve the nomination and recognition that this little old first year teacher!! Well, despite my request not to nominate me, HE DID and I WON!!! :)

I couldn't believe it!! I haven't won anything for the longest time. Chris said there is this "Summerhays curse" where anyone with the Summerhays last name doesn't win anything. I thought that was probably the case with me. But apparently not that week! I was so embarrassed and excited at the same time. The radio station hosts, Chris and LaRae, and a bunch of other people from different places around town showed up unannounced to my 3rd period 3rd grade math class! It was nuts!! All of my administration were there with them too. We made quite the scene, to say the least!!

I was so honored to receive such a nomination, even if it was by my own husband. Everyone at school was saying how sweet it was to be nominated by my own husband and they were right!! I am one pretty lucky girl! He wrote the sweetest letter to nominate me. They gave me a copy of it. It was just nice to feel appreciated for all that I do for my students. Sometimes I felt like I was putting in all these hours upon hours of unnoticed work. But my sweet husband was noticing and that means the WORLD to this Best Teacher on the Planet!! :)

So....thanks babe for making my first year of teaching the best!! :) I love you!!

No comments: