Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I am a proud Mommy!!!

On Monday, I officially started potty training Mckenna. I got some advice from my sister in law, Rebecca, on what she did. The method is basically 3 days of non-stop attention to your 2 year old. And as easy as that may sound...haha it wasn't! I hate saying that I couldn't give Kenna non-stop attention but with being 6+ months pregnant, trying to keep up with her every move basically wore me out! But I have done my best!

She had lots of accidents the first day. We went through a lot of pairs of underwear. But towards the end of the day, she was picking up on it. I had to watch her so closely so that I could catch her in the act every time. Once I caught her in the act I had to rush her to the potty to finish there. It took a lot of patience and love. I am actually as proud of myself as I am of her. I didn't lose my cool with her as much as I anticipated. (I am still learning patience! It is one of my biggest weaknesses!) Trying to give her as much positive praise as I could really helped me stay with it too. She was so proud of herself too. It was pretty cute to hear her say "Mommy, I did it!" Hearing that almost made up for the tons of puddles and spots on the carpet I cleaned up all day long!

Tuesday, day 2, went really well. She woke up dry!! I was so worried about having her sleep in her bed with only panties on. I almost contemplated putting a pull up on her just so that I woudn't have a mess to clean up. The one thing about this method was that we had to "throw away" all her diapers and pull ups before starting so that we wouldn't be tempted with that exact thing. So since I "threw out" all of them I didn't have the option. (and when I say "throw out" I really mean put in a baggie and put away. Are you kidding me....I paid good money for those and I am still a Francis at heart and have a HARD time throwing out good things. So until my next child needs them...they will stay hidden and NOT in the garbage! =) )

Anyways...I really had to put my trust in Mckenna and let her sleep with just panties on and I was amazed that the next morning she woke up dry. I was so proud of my little girl. I went in to wake her up and she went right in and went potty!! The rest of the day she stayed dry and went potty on her own a few times. She only had a couple of accidents.

So today is day 3...we haven't had any accidents at all and she has been doing great! I hope it keeps up. I am a little worried about actually having to leave the house with her....I'm not so sure that she will do as well in public places or at friends houses. That will be my next hurdle to jump through with her.

She has made me one proud mommy though! I was really a skeptic about doing this in a matter of 3 days, but now that I've tried and mostly succeeded....I am a believer! Thanks again Rebecca for the advice!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay! Go Mckenna!!! And Go Rebecca! It is totally hard! Anyone who has actually stuck with it I think TOTALLY has bragging rights!

When we started going out with Addison, we started with short trips. We made sure she went potty befor we left, then asked took her again before we headed home. Good luck!

red_dwarf said...

Wahooooooo! Good job, now I can anticipate the craziness I will go through teaching Andy. It sounds like your hard work has paid off!

Alicia said...

That is awesome! Good job McKenna! Woohoo! Congrats on your patience too :)