Saturday, January 16, 2010

Latest Projects...

Since I have been out of school and officially a "stay at home mom," I have been trying to think of things to stay busy. The biggest challenge in all of this is that we are trying to save money, so my projects have to be super cheap and inexpensive. I have tried to find stuff that would keep me busy but would also be projects that were meaningful and weren't just to pass the time and become something I would later throw out.

So...this is what I have come up with so far:

Magnet Board Makeover.... I bought this ugly blue magnet board at the DI for only $3. I couldn't pass it up because these babies cost like $25 at Roberts new. I didn't know what I would do with it because I already have one in my kitchen, but for 3 bucks I couldn't pass it up.


So I decided it would be cute in the girls' room. I painted it white. (with Mckenna's help...ya what a mess but it gave us something to do together) Then I found some scrapbook paper I already owned that matched Mckenna's room. I cut it into squares and just modge podged it on. I think it turned out really cute! I found some stickers of princess fairies and flowers I already had too and made them into magnets for it too.


Mckenna already is loving putting things up on it. I think it was a good project...especially because the total cost was only 3 bucks because I owned everything else. =D I love it when I don't have to go to the store (especially with a 2 year old shopping monster!).

The other project I did was kind of a makeover to something I already made last year. I made this family sign during the summer using cheap frames from the DI, then just put vinyl letters on them in different letters to spell FAMILY. I really liked it, but after I took it down for Christmas and then got it out again to put it up...I just felt like it needed something. It looked kind of blah to me.


So I thought about what I could do to it that would be cheap and not totally change the whole thing. I found some scrapbook paper I had that was all coordinating and decided to back the glass in paper. This is how it turned out. I think it added SO much to the look of it and to the look of my living room. I really like how it turned out. (oh...and please pay no attention to the fact that this one is missing the letter "L"... Mckenna broke the glass out of it and since I've fixed it I haven't replaced the vinyl for the "L" yet...got to love 2 year olds!!)


Now, on to the next project.... =D

3 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Cute! You are so creative! I need to go to DI more.

red_dwarf said...

Becca, you are so cute and crafty! I am so impressed you can do such cute things for so cheap. We need to spend a girls weekend together!

Natalie said...

I love these!